Who doesn’t enjoy learning about how to save money?! Saving money can come in several quick DIY ways. We’ve come up with a list of 8 tricks for reducing your heating costs. Pick one to put into effect or pick all 8–small changes CAN make a difference!
1. Stock up on socks: As goofy as it may sound, in many situations if your feet are cold then your whole body is cold! Grab a cozy pair of socks and keep those feet warm. This will help you feel warmer so you’ll be less likely to continually adjust the thermostat. This will allow your furnace to not work double time and operate as it should–saving you money and causing less stress on your system.
2. Tap heat from all angles: While it may seem silly, there are other DIY ways to generate heat in your house other than your furnace. One DIY way you can grab heat from all angles in your home is from the excess heat from your oven. Once you finish using your oven, leave the door cracked to let the heat enter your home. The same tactic can be used in regards to the steam from your shower. Don’t let unused warmth go to waste!
3. Adjust your thermostat: Some people may be afraid to adjust their thermostat a few degrees here and there; however, a few degree adjustment to save money is usually not too noticeable temperature wise. This quick fix of adjusting your thermostat can save you 5-10% on your bill. Something as simple as this should not be overlooked as it can save you money in the long run!
4. Insulate your home: One of the most cost-effective ways to winter proof your home is to ensure your attic insulation is up to par. Always be sure all ductwork is sealed off before you blow the insulation or you’ll need an HVAC professional to clean your ducts!
5. Purchase a programmable thermostat: Investing in a programmable thermostat is another quick trick you can do to reduce your heating bill. Programmable thermostats help you regulate your home for times when you are not home. If you aren’t home to feel the heat then why should you pay for it to be constantly blowing??
6. Don’t let heat escape: One big way heat can be escaping your home and costing you more money is through tiny open cracks leading to the outside world. These can be anything from small seal cracks, to not properly shutting doors and windows, and even forgetting to close the flue on your fireplace! Don’t let these quick fixable issues at your home cost you money on your heating bill.
7. Change the direction of ceiling fans: Did you know that you should change the direction of your ceiling fan blades according to heating or cooling season? When heating time comes it’s a good idea to change your blades to rotate clockwise which will help mix the hot air trapped at the ceiling.
8. Schedule checkups: In the HVAC world it cannot be stressed enough how important regular maintenance checkups are for your system! These checkups can ensure your unit is running efficiently, determine any small issues before there is a big issue, and prolong the life of your system. If you keep up with regular routine service, you’ll always know that your furnace is running efficiently and not costing you more than it should!
While there are many tactics to reduce your heating bill, the 8 tricks listed above will get you off to a great start! If you take into account these quick fixes you should start to see a decrease in expenses. Remember: If Comfort is Your Plan, Call the BEL-O MAN @ (618) 235-6626 or visit our website here.
Be Sure to Like, Follow, and Check Us Out on Social Media!
Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest YouTube