Do you have a pet? Do you have an HVAC system in your house? If you answered yes to these two questions this blog IS FOR YOU! Check out this list of 10 HVAC Tips to save you energy and keep your HVAC from working double-time:
- Shut off fans: if you leave fans on in attempt for a pet to feel cool you could potentially be wasting your time. In order for a pet to actually feel and enjoy a fan through their fur it must be set pretty high. To avoid adding unnecessary kilowatt hours to your electric bill stop running these fans when you aren’t home.
- Use a programmable thermostat: By setting your thermostat at a temperature slightly different from what you do currently you can save money and energy. Pets have their special ways (panting if hot and fur if cold) of adjusting to a slight temperature adjustment so there’s no need to worry! The Alliance to Save Energy recommends pet owners to set their thermostat at 78 degrees in the summer and 68 degrees in the winter; however, you should always check with your vet for recommendations for your specific breed.
- Check those doggy doors: while a doggy door can be convenient, it is extremely important to make sure your air or heat is not escaping. Always be sure the door is able to be sealed air tight. If air is escaping it may cause your system to work harder. You worked hard for your family and pet to enjoy an air conditioned house—don’t let your hard earned money slip through the cracks (literally)!
- Put reptile on a schedule: in order to manage your energy costs for reptiles it’s a good idea to purchase a timer for their heat lamp requirements. Keeping your reptile on a schedule will help you save money on your energy costs!
- Turn off TVs: although you may think your dog enjoys catching up on the latest Netflix series while you’re out, it is not exactly realistic. Turning off the TV you may leave on for your pet to enjoy sound can save you energy on your bill in the long run. Toys and bones are also a good option to entertain your pet while you are out AND they won’t cost you a dime on your power bill!
- Don’t let the water run: although your pet may enjoy lapping up water from a flowing tub or sink faucet it’s wasting your money! If you absolutely must allow your pet to enjoy this luxury do it in small intervals rather than leaving them to their own personal drinking fountain.
- Keep out of drafty area: we can’t forget about the birds! Always make sure to never sit your bird cage by a drafty area to keep your bird from ruffling any additional feathers. A quick fix to stop a drafty area is to install an insulation kit to your window. Stopping the drafty area will also allow your HVAC system to operate as it should rather than having to work double-time to keep up.
- Don’t leave lights on: truth be told, animals only rely on natural light and darkness for their internal schedules and do not require artificial light. Your animal does not need a reading light to read the next few chapters in their novel or to finish a late night puzzle! By leaving the lights turned off while you are away you’ll save energy. Your pets won’t notice a difference, but your electricity bill will!
- Recycle aquarium water: a good way to clean your aquarium is to remove only 1/3 of the water and use the water removed to water indoor and outdoor plants. By doing this you’ll save energy and water! Your fish, plants, and wallet will thank you!
- Wash dog blanket & beds in cold water: by washing these items in cold water instead of hot you’ll use up to 90% less energy. Blankets and beds will come out just as clean and your fluffy tailed-wet nosed friend won’t be able to tell the difference!
BELOMAN is a heating, cooling, plumbing and pest solution company serving Madison, Monroe, and St. Clair County –especially clients WITH a pet! We want to keep your family comfortable all season long including your pet. Don’t forget the importance of keeping your indoor air clean from pet dander and hair! If you’re needing service call or want to clean the air in your home call (618) BEL-O MAN or visit our website here.
Don’t Forget To Check Us Out On Social Media!
Is there something about your HVAC system that is concerning you but you’re afraid to ask? Fear no more…the BELOMAN is always here to help. We’ve compiled a list of the 10 most frequently asked questions when it comes to your A/C and furnace. Check out the questions below to see which category your concern falls into.
- Is this sound I’m hearing an issue?: you may hear alarming sounds come from your system; however, in most cases there isn’t anything to worry about. Check out one of our previous blogs to see if the sound you’re hearing made the list for most common sounds: “What Do These Funny HVAC Sounds Mean?”
- What is a Precision Tune-Up?: a Precision Tune-Up includes a total maintenance cleaning of the equipment components. By having a professional perform a precision tune-up you’ll gain confidence that your unit is prepped for the upcoming heating or cooling season as well as help prolong the life cycle of your unit.
- Why is it important to have regular maintenance on my system?: it’s important to have regular maintenance performed because just like a new car purchase your HVAC also needs checked out to ensure everything is working correctly. Maintaining big investments is always a wise decision and keeping your system properly maintained will help keep it running more efficiently.
- Why is my AC system freezing up?: there could be numerous reasons why your HVAC system froze up. To determine the correct issue it would be best to call an experienced technician. The issue could have to do with the need for your air filter to be replaced, a leak in the refrigerant lines, a dirty coil, or a defective motor. In order to have a professional work on the issue it must first be thawed.
- What is a Zoning System?: zoning systems separate ductwork into different zones so that you have the ability to control the different temperatures in the independent areas. Zoning can be done in offices as well to maximize a more diverse temperature liking.
- Are all HVAC filters the same?: air filters are not in fact all the same. There are actually a few options to choose from depending on how much debris and air pollutants you want to trap. Check out one of our previous blogs to learn more about the different types: “Pros & Cons of Different Types of Filters“
- Can indoor air be hazardous to your health?: ab-sol-utely! In fact, the air in your home could be more polluted than the outdoor air. With the amount of time we spend indoors, it is very important to have an IAQ (indoor air quality) expert perform an analysis of the air in your home.
- How healthy is my indoor air?: in order to determine the quality of the air in your home contact an IAQ expert to perform an analysis of your home. Want to know how the test is actually performed and the benefits? Check out one of our previous blogs: “10 Shocking Facts of IAQ” for more information.
- How much does a humidifier or dehumidifier help?: there is actually a long list of reasons why you should make an investment to control the level of humidity in your space. Common reasons to invest include: family members present who suffer from allergies, dry cracking skin, and even as a way to keep your hardwood floor warranty intact!
- How can I better control my home energy costs?: to begin controlling the costs of the energy used in your home contact a professional to perform an energy audit. It’s also a good idea to schedule proper routine maintenance on your HVAC, always greatly consider all high-efficiency options as it will save you more in the long run, and install a programmable thermostat to help better regulate the likelihood of saving energy.
We hope that after reading through 10 of the most frequently asked questions for your HVAC system you have a better understanding of the kind of problem you’re facing. For any additional help contact the BELOMAN at (618) BEL-OMAN or visit our website here.
___________Don’t Forget To Check Us Out On Social Media!__________
Are you experiencing funny sounds coming from your air conditioner or furnace? When it comes to odd sounds coming from your system these sounds can definitely be alarming. Although some sounds may be a teaser, there are still some sounds that can become troubling to your system. We’ve come up with a list of common sounds that may escape your HVAC system and what they may be caused by:
Rattling: rattling sounds often indicate there is something that has been loosened and trapped. Items such as sticks and pebbles can become lodged in your outside unit causing funny sounds.
Metal Clanking: hearing metal clanking is often a good indicator of loose parts or pipes. When everything is bolted and secure there won’t be any loose parts to rattle against each other; however, when a part comes loose it can hit against another area causing an odd clanking sound.
Bubbling: odd sounds similar to bubbling could be a good sign of air trapped in the refrigerant line.
Thumping at startup/shutdown: thumping at start up or shutdown usually indicates a worn belt. Call your local and trusted HVAC company if you believe this is the problem you’re facing. It could be a quick fix covered under warranty!
Hissing: in most cases hearing hissing come from your system is a good sign that air is escaping when it shouldn’t be. Schedule a technician to do a leak search for better insight.
Popping: funny popping noises coming from your system could possibly be metal contracting & expanding. Hearing this sound can definitely be alarming but may not mean anything serious—call your trusted HVAC company to come check it out!
Are you hearing some of these odd sounds and not sure how to approach it? Always remember, for as big of an investment that the air and heat is to your home, it’s always best to call a qualified and knowledgeable technician to check out the problem first. “If Comfort Is Your Plan, Call The BELOMAN!” (618) BEL-OMAN or visit our website here.
Don’t just take our word for it! Click here to see what others had to say about our company!
Don’t Forget To Check Us Out On Social Media!